Saturday, February 1, 2014

Fort Pickens - Beauty in the Aftermath of Military Action

I feel as though I should qualify this post by saying that I am a pacifist at heart. Despite everything in its history, mankind continues to use war as a vehicle for "making things right",  so I understand the need to try to know about the history of the wars that have formed this world we live in.

This past week we have been camping in Fort Pickens Campground, Gulf Islands National Seashore along the Gulf Coast of Florida. (Please do follow the link to an abbreviated story about the history of the for in the preceding sentence.)    This morning we walked the beach of the bay to the ruins of Fort Pickens and explored what is left of the fort, and despite my abhorrence of war-related things, I was captivated by the many arches of this fortification, as the light and shadows emphasized the aged brickwork created by legions of slave labor, brick walls 4 feet thick, now crumbling around the outside edges but solid and enduring for the most part, with nature aging the brick in such stunning beauty: sections of mineral deposits and stalactites hanging from the arches, moss covering shaded corners.   I feel less guilty about enjoying the beauty of these fortification remnants knowing that no actual battles transpired here, no lives were lost to war, but lives were certainly difficult for those who built this fort, and in the years following the Civil War, lives were ruined when Geronimo and members of his band were held captive here. (Again, I encourage you to follow the link to more information about that story).

This little dude darted in from the side to photo bomb my shot, to my advantage




Do you see the face?

Civil-war era arch frames 40's barracks building

Mossy greens highlight some arches

Stalactites that hang like frosting from the arches





No comments: